Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Seriously?! It's not fair!

Last night I had an aggravating experience. I was going to meet some friends for drinks at a restaurant on the lake. I was running slightly late and eying the door as I approached my destination when I spotted them. A table placed conveniently right outside of the entrance, at which sat 3 adorable little boys adorned in their boyscouts of America uniforms, great.

I kept my eye on the door and avoided eye contact as I neared the entrance, I was almost there when I heard it: a little voice with a slight lisp, "Ma'am, would you like to buy some popcorn?" I turned to see a small boy of about 8, red hair, glasses (which didn't disguise his puppy-like wide eyes), and 2 missing teeth. I immediately felt like the worst person in the world. I knew I wasn't going to buy any popcorn. I'm only here 2 more days, I have $6 to my name, and I was in somewhat of a hurry. Nevertheless I rambled off a series of seemingly hopeful questions to the small boy. "Well how long will you be out here? Maybe on my way out? I'm not in town long but I guess if you ship it.."

As I walked away, a wave of guilt and shame came over me. I realized, however, I cannot let myself feel that way! It's cruel really, placing those cute kids out there to guilt you into purchasing an overpriced tin of mediocre popcorn. Making you feel like a monster for refusing the freckle-nosed, bright-eyed youngsters. No more! I will not stand for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment