Here is my final portfolio. I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made over the semester and I think it shows in my work.
This piece was the last project of the semester. We had to create an audiobook and design the packaging. I chose Pride and Predjudice and went off of the letter-writing for my concept (since there are plenty of letters written in the book). I dyed paper to make it look like parchment and did an illustration in india ink with colored pencil to add definition to the faces. I created a tri-fold booklet to hold the three discs and put excerpts from letters on the CD labels. I was happy with how this piece turned out.
This project required us to create our own beverage and 6 pack carrier for it. I created a beer that I called "Hoptimist." I tried to keep the whole mood of my beverage happy and sunny yet simple. I created a logo and tagline which i put on the box, while all other information was included on the labels. I also made sure to use smiley caps, because smiling and "hoppy" moods is what my beer is all about. I was happy with this project in the end. I wish there was a heavier paper I could have used so I could feel more confident when picking up my box.
This project required that we provide our own photography for an article about Fall. I took photos at Thousand Hills Park. The background has a subtle texture from a photo of the woods with goes along with the title. I used a c.o.b. on the left page to help the title stand out and balance out the spread. I used a compilation of 3 photos on the right page with different colors to add variety and work with the copy. This piece was full color 11 x 17. I was happy with this piece but wish I could have had a little more Fall colors incorporated.
This project required that we redesign a magazine spread for a stress article. The challenge with this piece was that there was a great deal of copy to work with. I used my own photography and took a picture of my mother because she is closer in age to the main audience of this magazine. Space was an issue which I resolved with photo placement. This piece was full color 11 x 17.
This project required that we use a professional photo in a magazine article, magazine ad and poster. All full color. I chose a photo of an orangutan. For my magazine spread I found an article about deforestation and its effects on oragutans. For the poster I made up a music festival based off of "Lollapalooza" and went with the 70's concept. The article was full color, 11 x 17. The Poster was full color, 13 x 19. I'm happy with my final pieces. I found this project especially fun because we had more free reign and could choose something that interests us.
This project required that we recreate a magazine spread. The challenge for this project was that we had very little copy to work with. To overcome this I chose to emphasize my photo and headline and wrap the copy around. This was a full color piece 11 x 17. During the creation of this piece I was having trouble with the photo tag and its placement. However, I was finally able to resolve this issue and I'm happy with the result.
This project required that we recreate a poorly designed poster, in this instance, a "Dance Fusion" poster. This was a two color piece and size 13 x 19. I decided to use a simple graphic that I created in addition to a grid. The abstract dancer is meant to pull the viewer in and then the information is available at a closer look. I actually redid this poster from the very original and I'm happy I did.
This project required that we recreate a poorly designed poster, in this instance, a "Dance Fusion" poster. This was a two color piece and size 13 x 19. I decided to use a simple graphic that I created in addition to a grid. The abstract dancer is meant to pull the viewer in and then the information is available at a closer look.